In many production processes, water of different qualities is used for industrial cooling. At Evides Industrial water, we develop sustainable solutions for industrial cooling water, cooling water purification and reuse of cooling water.
What is cooling water?
Any type of water can be used as cooling water. Since every cooling system differs from another, the design will determine which water qualities are suitable and which are not. In addition, in many cases the cooling water in a cooling system must also be chemically conditioned in order to combat corrosion, sediments and legionella.
Where is cooling water used?
In many industrial processes heat must be dissipated. This heat dissipation takes place mainly via heat exchangers with water as a cooling agent. This means that the temperature of the cooling water should stay low. And that it should be able to absorb the processing heat without causing any complications in the heat exchangers. Usually, cooling tower ensures the re-cooling of the water, except when once-through cooling is applied.
Examples of use of cooling water
- Once-through surface water goes through the system once and untreated and then straight back into the water system
- Open circulation the cooling water is cooled by use of open cooling towers and concentrated, as a result of which less water is required than when applying once-through cooling. As a nourishment, drinking water, filtered surface water, reused waste water or even demineralised water can be used.
- Closed circulation the cooling water never comes in contact with the heat exchanger of the process to be cooled, but circulates only across the cooling tower itself. In the cooling tower, there is an assembly of pipes that cool the closed system. As a nourishment, drinking water, filtered surface water, reused waste water or even demineralised water can be used.
Challenges for cooling water
Of the examples mentioned, open circulating cooling systems ensure the majority of challenges. The degree to which the system is challenging, depends on many factors.
- The choice of material for the cooling system
- The quality of the nourishment of the cooling water
- The chemical conditioning of the cooling water
- Operational actions
- The surroundings of the cooling tower
- Discharge regulations
Advantages of cooling water
There is not but one solution and water quality for all cooling water application. This involves customisation, where all previously mentioned factors must be balanced. We will be happy to assist you in finding this balance, so as to optimise Total Cost or Ownership and environmental-impact.
For every project we will seek a solution that consumes as little water as possible and the least possible amount of chemicals. This way, together with our clients, we contribute to a reduced water footprint.